Saturday, December 8, 2012

Bathroom Dilemmas - Tiles

I'm really struggling with my bathroom selections and I'm not really sure why. With everything else, from demolition to design I've hardly hesitated with my decisions. I generally decide on something and run with it.

The issues I'm having is with tiles and cabinetry. This post is about the tiles. Actually, I can pinpont why I'm having so much trouble. Both tiles and cabinetry were selected ages ago, but both are now not able to be used so I had to select something else. I find it very difficult to go back and make new decisions when I've already made one previously. It's like my mind has put that away and moved on.


In a previous post I'd written about these GORGEOUS timber look tiles that I'd fallen completely in love with, despite being $144m2. I could see in my mind how they would look and had my heart completely set on it. A couple of weeks ago though the builder said the tiles were too long to be able to get fall in the bathroom and would need to be cut in a number of places and would look terrible. So I was back to square one.

I've been to SOOO many tile places but I always seems to have these in the back of my mind. It makes selection very difficult. I had then decided on an all white look look, but you can't find a pure white floor tile because of the way they are made. So I had to go a different route.


OK, the tile at the bottom is the wall tile. Just a basic ceramic rectified tile in a pure gloss white. The tile at the top is my thoughts for the floor tile. I say thoughts as I'm still unsure. It's a cool grey tiles, semi gloss and looks a little like brushed aluminium. This is so far away from my timber look floor I'm still struggling with it.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Karina, that is horrible that you have to change your selections.

    Do you know how many tiles they'd need to cut to get the fall needed? Because they are dark tiles and you'd obviously have a dark grout, the cuts won't be obvious. I'd be asking them again about that since you've got your heart set in them

    Alternatively, I'd choose a dark floor tile. I chose a taupe floor tile and regret it as they show up every hair, etc. I'd change them to a darker tile in a heartbeat if I could.

    Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Di!

      The timber look tiles I had chosen were actually the white ones and there would have to be a number of cuts to get the fall and there may be a lot of wastage. At $144m2 I don't really want to take the risk :-(.

      I thought about a darker tile but the bathroom is quite small, smaller than I'd anticipated now that I've seen it so I think a darker tiles might make it even smaller. Today I went to ANOTHER tile place and found a stone look tiles that has a fleck through it. I'll do another post with the pics and you can tell me what you think. xx

      Delete
  2. As much as I LOOOOVVEEEEE all white bathroom, I would never do a white floor in MY house. Like Di, I would go with a dark floor tile. Preferably charcoal, a neutral/cool colour that won't date. That's if you are going with white wall tiles. If you went for matching wall and floor tiles, I'd go for a light/medium grey like ours :P

    Good luck! I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrgh yes I'm very nervous about a light coloured floor. It's just such a small bathroom, I'm worried about a dark coloured floor. I'll post a photo of the LATEST tile I'm thinking about. It's white stone with a fleck through it. My builder is SCREAMING at me for a decision as he wants to lay it before Christmas.

      I think I'm driving him crazy... :-)

      Delete