Friday, August 12, 2016

The Magic Mulberry Tree


This straggly little tree has never really had leaves for the six years I've had the place. It just had some straggly branches, the odd curled up shoot and always seemed to be covered in aphids and mealy bugs. I had no idea what kind of tree it was, but I'd actually been meaning to cut it down but had misplaced my saw.

Then, a couple of months ago I accidentally walked into one of the branches (because they're so straggly and pathetic I didn't see it) and ended up with a scratch on my forehead and mealy bug dust in my hair. I got super annoyed, grabbed my secateurs and gave it a massive prune. Then I jettisoned all the aphids and mealy bugs with a hose and gave it a spray with Confidor.

I didn't really give it much thought until yesterday when I threw the ball to the dog but I'm so unco it ended up nowhere near the dog, but next to the tree.

Behold...


First decent leaves and first fruit ever!
It was the best surprise! It not only had leaves…it had FRUIT!! It's MULBERRY TREE!!!! I can't even begin to explain how excited I am about this!! I had a mulberry tree growing up and I've always wanted one. In fact it's in the plan I had previously written about for the backyard.

I'm super excited BUT faced with a dilemma - the tree is on the spare block. You know, the one I'm about to put on the market? What if the new owners chop it down like I was going to? I can't even bear the thought. So I've spent the last 24 hours researching how to transplant it.

Can't wait to see if it's a black mulberry or red mulberry
So…the plan is (after much internet research, forum posting etc), to prune it back hard and try and strike the cuttings as a back up. Then I'll dose it up with Seasol to try and counteract any transplant shock and try and move it to a big pot in a couple of months. Maybe when the backyard is ready I'll plant it in the backyard as per the original plan.


The only things is, it's a pretty thick trunk and so very close to the fence. Oh well, I can only try. It'll be my first transplant!

I love how this house still sends me little surprises, even after so many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment