Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Neighbourhood Renovation


I guess if you're looking for a silver lining in the flood disaster, then there are some houses that are much better now than before the flood.

These is my neighbour's house during the flood. It was an old, unrenovated post war house that had been rented to the same lovely lady for the last 10 years.

I was talking to the owners the other day and by their own admission they hadn't carried out any renovations to the home in the 17 years since they'd owned it apart from minor repairs.

With the insurance, the house is now completely renovated inside and out, with a brand new driveway, garage and landscaping.


It's come up an absolute treat and it's the same story across the neighbourhood. It's not a flash suburb, but it's next to a blue ribbon suburb in the South West. I bought it mainly because it was close to the boom suburb (without the price tag) and they are also building a brand new Woolworths development down the road, with speciality stores such as cafes and bakeries and homewares boutiques. So I guess I was looking long term at its value. I had always intended to subdivide later, the flood has just fast tracked that.

So there is a silver lining to everything...if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment